Karen Dumas Genealogy Churches in Quebec

Baie St. Paul

The most ancient parish in Charlevoix was founded in 1714 and its name is a tribute to the first parish priest, Reverend Pierre Paul Gagnon. Parish records begin in 1681. Its first priest arrived in 1685. Authorization for building the church was given in 1694 but the first church was not built until 1698. This church was made of wood and fitted with a bell installed in the open.

The Quebec Seminary gave land to build a new church in 1750 and it was open for midnight mass in 1755. The current church is on this same site.

During the siege of Quebec, parishioners hid themselves from the British invaders. Baie St Paul went through a summer of war but was not destroyed. Use of this church continued until 1859, when a third church was built. By 1907, this church was on the verge of ruin. In 1908, a fourth cornerstone was laid for a new church. In 1962, it was destroyed by fire and the fifth church was dedicated in 1964, without any sacred artifacts (which had been destroyed).

Click here for more info.

 

Baie Saint Paul

Cathedrale de Rimouski

The Saint-Germain Cathedral began construction in 1854 and ended in 1862. This church received the title of Cathedrale in 1867. It was named for Germain Lepage, father of the first Lord of Rimouski born in France.

  Cathedral Rimouski

Chateau Richer

The town of Chateau Richer is located on the left bank of the St Laurent River. The first colonists came from France to live here in Canada and the first mission was founded in 1640. By 1661 the first church was built and this parish organized one of the first schools of the city. The name of Chateau Richer comes from the old priory Chateau Richer in France and Monseigneur Laval writes about it in his letters. By the end of the 17th century, the sawmill was built and a convent for young girls was started.

In 1759, this village and church found itself in the middle of the Siege of Quebec. The convent was destroyed and rebuilt in 1829.

Click here for more info.

  Chateau Richer

Église de l’Hôtel-Dieu

The public vault that the hospital of Quebec had since 1659 is destroyed by the fire that devastates the monastery and Hospital in 1755. The nuns organize a subscription campaign and construction begins in 1802 and completed in 1809. Some of the furnishings come from the churches that had been confiscated during the French Revolution. It is now classified as a historic building.

  No image available
Hochelaga   Hochelaga
Immaculee Conception St. Ours   Imaculee Conception St. Ours
L’Ange Gardien   L'Ange Gardien

L’Assomption

Before a church was established at Grand Falls, clergy from other missions and parishes visited the area to provide such church services for baptisms and marriages. Reverend Charles Hott came from the parish of Sainte-Anne to perform the first three baptisms.

Church functions were carried out mainly in the summer months when travel was easier. Other Catholic church records for residents of the Grand Falls area for the period prior to 1868 have been found in Saint Dunstan’s church records, Fredericton. In 1854, Father Michael Meloy saw to the establishment for the first chapel to serve the Grand Falls mission. It was built on what we now still call Chapel Street. By 1868, Grand Falls became a separate parish under the name Assomption.

A new church was built starting in 1882, with the blessing of the cornerstone by Monsignor James Rogers of Chatham. The church, built mostly of wood, was completely destroyed by fire on November 5, 1906, along with the original chapel situated nearby. The present structure opened its doors in 1908 and the present rectory was built in 1949.

  L'Assomption

L’Assomption Notre Dame Baie des Sables

The first priest is Joseph Dumas. The Mission started in 1853 but the first vault is built in 1857. Registers begin in 1860 and the second vault in 1862, being used as parish church until 1917 when a stone church is erected. Civil erection occurs on
September 27, 1869 and Canonical erection on February 16, 1869. It is set fire to on November 2, 1939. The current church goes back to 1941.

  L'Assomption Notre Dame Baie des Sables

La Nativite de Beauport

La Nativite de Beauport today is a result of four previous churches built on this site. The first church was finished in approximately 1676, the second in 1722, the third in 1849, which burned down on January 24, 1890. The rebuilding of the fourth church began in 1890 and continued until 1914. This church was used as a model for the basilica of St. Dunston of Charlottetown. Fire again devastated this church on February 21, 1916. The fifth church underwent rebuilding from 1916 to 1918, using the walls salvaged from the fire. Inside, the church resembles its 1890 predecessor. Legend claims that the Pulpit, Way of the Cross, and benches survived the fire but this remains unconfirmed. The convent of the Sisters of the congregation of Notre Dame was established in 1885 for this thriving and busy parish.

  No image available

La Nativite de la Notre Dame

Present day La Nativite de la Notre Dame was built in 1918 on the walls of the previous church and is the fourth one to be built on this site.

  La Nativite de la Notre Dame

La Presentation Sainte Verge

Work began in 1817 based on the drawings of Cherrier, its priest, and was blessed in 1820.

  La Presentation Sainte Verge
Lachine   Lachine

Notre Dame de la Victoires

One of the oldest churches stands on the site of Samuel de Champlain’s first residence serving as a fort and trading post. It was built in 1688 and restored twice. The name came from two French victories against the British in 1660 and 1711. There is a scale model of a boat representing the Le Breze which was the boat that transported French soldiers to New France in 1664.

The church was destroyed by fire when the lower part of Quebec City was bombed in 1759 by the British. Four large cannons and five mortars had kept up a steady barrage throughout the night. Fireballs made of iron baskets and filled with pitch, tar and powder were lobbed over the walls, spreading fire from the three hundred British bombs which fell on Quebec the first day.

During one night, upwards of fifty of the best houses in Lower Town were destroyed. The vaults containing merchandise and many precious articles did not escape the effects of the artillery. “During this dreadful conflaguration we could offer nothing but our tears and prayers at the foot of the altar at such moments as could be snatched from the necessary attention to the wounded.”

The bombing continued destroying Notre Dame des Victories and other buildings. On August 10th a shell ignited brandy in a wine cellar with the flames spreading to Notre Dame des Victoiries. The Jesuit’s church and nunnery suffered the same fate. "In addition to these misfortunes," noted Marie de la Visitation, "we had to contend with more than one enemy; famine, at all times inseparable from war, threatened to reduce us to the last extremity; upwards of six hundred persons in our building and vicinity partaking of our small means of subsistence supplied from the government stores which were likely soon to be short of what was required for the troops.”

After the stunning failure of his attack on Beauport, July 31, 1759, General Wolfe was humiliated and desperate. He set into motion the darkest chapter of his campaign, embracing the guerrilla tactics of the New World. He told his officers: “I intend to burn the whole country from Kamouraska to the Point of Lévy.” If he couldn’t capture Canada, he would destroy its harvests, its granaries and its food for the winter.

The British ranged over one hundred miles along the St. Lawrence. They laid waste to deserted villages and torched hundreds of farmhouses and barns.

News of the destruction travelled to Jean-Félix Recher, the abbé whose church in Quebec had already burned to the ground. “I heard that on the South shore, the English (as well as burning the parish of St. Antoine) have burned St. Nicholas and part of St. Croix. On the Île d’Orleans, houses in the parish of St. François, half the homes in Ste. Famille, and as well of those at Baie St. Paul were burned; and that they sent 600 men to the Lower South Shore, to burn houses and wheatfields.”

Bishop Pontbriand, the bishop of Quebec from 1741 to 1760, saw his people burning little fires of survival in shattered streets.”...the inhabitants of the town are without wood for the winter, without bread, without flour, without meat. They survive only on a few biscuits and on the salt pork which the English soldiers sell them from their rations.”

Click here for more info.

  Notre Dame de la Victoires

Notre Dame de Quebec

Notre Dame de Quebec is the oldest parish in North America, built in 1647. Samuel de Champlain had a modest chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary in 1633. The basilica has been destroyed twice by fire but reconstructed on the original site. During the English conquest of 1759, it was ravaged by bombardments and reconstructed. 1923 saw the last reconstruction due to a fire in 1922. A total of 350 years of construction history occurred between 1654 and 1898; 900 people are buried under the cathedral. The sanctuary lamp was a gift from Louis XIV.

Click here and here for more info.

  Notre Dame de Quebec

Notre Dame du Cap de Madeleine

Worship at this church dates back to 1659, when the first chapel was built. It is located on the north shore of the St Laurent River. Jacques Buteur, the first missionary arrived in 1635 and founded Trois Rivieres before being martyred by the Iroquois. The first chapel, made of wood, was constructed in 1661 and followed by a stone chapel in 1714.
The population in 1873 increased to more than 1,000 and Father Luc Desilets, the parish priest, decided to build a larger church, which involved transporting stones from the south shore. However, the winter of 1878 was mild and the river did not freeze over. The parishioners prayed throughout January and February for the river to freeze over. By March, Father Luc Desilets vowed to preserve the small chapel slated for demolition and dedicate it to The Virgin Mary if the weather would cooperate with his plans. The ice bridge formed on March 16th for one week and the stones were hauled across to the opposite shore. The parishioners called it the ‘Bridge of Rosaries’ and it was the first miracle attributed to Notre Dame du Cap with the second miracle being “Miracle of the Eyes.”

Father Desilets dedicated the sanctuary to the Blessed Virgin and while praying in the small chapel with two others, the three men saw the statute of Mary open its eyes. Word of the new miracle brought pilgrims from Quebec and then from all over the world.

The stained glass windows were produced according to the medieval tradition by Jan Tillemans a Dutch Oblate father. He spent one year soaking in the light of Cap de la Madeleine and then another ten years to produce the stained glass art work

Click here for more info.

  Notre Dame du Cap de Madeleine
Notre Dame du Rosaire   Notre Dame du Rosaire
Notre Dame Sept Douleurs   Notre Dame Sept Douleurs
St. Alphonse   St. Alphonse

St. Antoine sur Richelieu (or St. Antoine Padoua)

Saint Antoine sur Richelieu is located on the majestic Richelieu River and was attached to the seigneury of Contrecoeur during the 17th century. A ferry transit point was established between southern Quebec and the Saint Laurent River but it is abandoned today.

However, the ferry operates on a short route between Saint-Antoine and the village of Saint-Denis, where Antoine and Marie-Angelique Paulint, children of Antoine Paulint were baptized. It is the marriage place of Antoine Paulint, our patriot of the American Revolution. The river freezes in the winter, forming a ice-bridge for crossing. Just on the opposite side of the river is where the events of 1837-1838 of the Papineau Rebellion occurred.

  No image available

 

Karen Dumas Genealogy Churches in Quebec
Karen Dumas Genealogy
Back to Church List Viewing Page 1 of 4 View Page 1 2 3 4
Back to the top of the page
<